Sunday, May 13, 2012

Gold Threads!

My show is nearly over and I am just 2 days from finishing my the work I have blogged about as a work in progress.  That means it's time to move onto a new series of works.  I can't say too much just yet, but my next series is going to be autobiographical (although not in an obviously literal sense).  It will contain representational elements and include a lot of gold work  In anticipation I bought some gold threads so that when I'm ready to start I can just get into it.

If you've ever wondered what $200 worth of gold threads look like, this is it.  It's not as much as I thought and given the large size of the works I have in mind, these are going to be very pricey works to stitch.  (I told my husband who said "don't work too fast!" Ha, ha.)

I've been enjoying just looking at my threads and imagining the possibilites.  I love the slippery gorgeousness of the large bullions pictured here.

Pictured here are 2 thicknesses of Grecian Twist (don't forget you can click on the photos to get a close up look).  I love the contrast of the gold and silver threads.  This thread is quite stiff and is a paler gold as it is only available in Gilt and not in 2% gold.

Grecian Twist in close up.

The reflectivity of this large check bullion is just beautiful.

Small check bullion and Japanese Thread for couching.

This bizarre thread is Milliary wire.  It is quite a thin thread and very stiff.


This thread is called Rococo.  I love the bends in the thread and the way it catches the light.


These gold threads are so beautiful that just looking at them makes my heart skip a beat.  I can't wait to start using them and share my adventure of discovery with you.  Stay tuned.......

Pin It

No comments: