Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Wonderful Typography of Evelin Kasikov

I need a bit of a diversion from the approach of my show and so I'm delighted to share with you the work of Evelin Kasikov.  Evelin is a typographic designer whose works are hand stitched onto paper.  She has developed a fascinating technique in which she uses  "typography, grid systems and design techniques to challenge the preconceptions of embroidery." 


Moving Image IV:  Floating Dots

This work is part of her Moving Images embroidery series.  Evelin explains the technique on her website:  

"I use conventional screen angles: Cyan 105˚, Magenta 75˚, Yellow 90˚ and Black 45˚ and prepare dot screens for cross-stitch. Works are stitched using cotton threads in CMYK colours, the intensity of colour depends on the number of strands used. The final outcome is a printed page created by hand." 



I love this image showing Floating Dots from close up to distant.  When I view any work in a gallery I always look at it from a series of distances.  This image gives us that advantage without actually seeing the image in person.  Evelin explains her intention this way:

"I attempt to create a series of motion illusions where a static image is perceived as moving. My intention is not to copy well-known examples but create new ones using three kinds of variables: colour, screen angle and cross size." 


The picture above shows a layer by layer breakdown of Moving Image II.  (click on the photo to see a larger, clearer image).


Here in glorious close up is a view of her layered cross stitch technique.  I think it is fascinating and fabulous.  I'm thinking of incorporating this idea into some of my works as another way of providing complex texture and depth.




The above work was commissioned by Kate Spade (a New York Fashion Store) for their Year of Color project.  Prints of this work are available via the Kate Spade website.

The images below come from the work Printed Matter.  Evelin says:

Printed Matter is my final MA project at Central Saint Martins in London (MA Communication Design 2006–2008). It is a project about craft within the context of graphic design. My aim is to bring together craft and modern technology and explore colour in three-dimensional form. The project is based on my original CMYK cross-stitch technique. 


It is a superb achievement.  The many, many hours invested in this project are evident in the fine quality of the finished artwork.



I love the exploded view on the left of the image on the right.  It gives a fascinating insight into her working process.





This page makes my heart skip a beat.



A progression of layers, an evolution of colour, shape and texture.


This work, Browsing Copy, I find particularly moving.  It was part of a project to make use of the copies of books that are in book shops for browsing, heavily thumbed through, but always in the store, never finding themselves a home.



Dezeen Platform (2 layers shown)

And finally, her playful stitched artist profile.

I hope you have enjoyed this insight into the work of Evelin Kasikov.  With only 2 days until my opening I am off to the kitchen to make a mountain of frosting which will adorn my mini cupcakes.



Pin It

No comments: